These are the details for the profile Novel laboratory informatics software solutions to increase the efficiency of scientific laboratories.
If you would like more information about the profile please click Request More
Information. You will be directed to a new page where you will need
to provide some information about yourself/your business cooperation needs and submit
your expression of interest in the profile . A Network Partner will then contact
you to discuss your interest in greater detail.
This UK based SME has designed software solutions which reduce laboratory costs, the laboratory’s carbon footprint and the time spent on administrative work.
The company seeks to engage with laboratory information management systems (LIMS), laboratory instrument vendors, companies in the chemicals or pharmaceuticals sectors via licensing, technical co-operation agreements or commercial agreement with technical assistance
The company, established in 1990, has many years of expertise in implementing software solutions that reduce laboratory costs and turnaround times as well as improve traceability, analytical performance and results quality.
The efficiency of laboratories is usually affected by poor automation, low level control and integration of laboratory resources (such as instruments, sample preparation systems, IT systems, etc) along with inefficient and inaccurate data handling. This is due to the typical heterogeneous mixture of instruments and systems in routine use as well as the limited integration capabilities provided by IT systems like laboratory information management systems LIMS/LIS or chromatography data handling systems (CDS) or instruments and their respective software.
To address the above challenges, the company offers various software application packages that address all aspects of laboratory workflows from handheld solutions to support external sample collection and data logging, sample labelling and tracking, to interfacing laboratory instruments, LIMS and IT/corporate data systems as well as the managing and charting of analytical quality control data. As results and quality control standards can be checked frequently during the analysis, the analyst can more easily interact with laboratory processes and exert control. By analysing instrument and sample data on the fly, the company’s software solutions allow laboratories to extract the most value out of their data.
All the software packages are well-established products, which have been proven in a competitive market for over fifteen years. Currently, exports represent about 25% of the company’s sales but are expected to increase rapidly as the company keeps on growing. The design of their software applications is further aimed at minimising the carbon footprint of laboratories in order to address environmental benefits.
Being customer tailored to meet the specific requirements of each laboratory, the software solutions electronically translate and transcribe data between connections of different instruments, the solutions not only to speed up workflows and reduce costs, but also generate a detailed custody trail to guarantee compliance and satisfy regulators and external auditors.
The company’s technology offers include:
• A software package to link instruments and low usage measurement devices to the laboratory’s/company’s IT system, where the IT system is a LIMS, LIS, chromatography data system (CDS), electronic lab notebook (ELN), scientific data management system (SDMS), database or simple spread sheets. The software helps analysts to easily interact with instruments and to report quality results quickly without transcription
• A software package for charting, statistical analysis, exceptions reporting and management of Analytical Quality Control Standards (AQCs) helping to meet regulatory requirements.
• A ruggedized system for external sampling based on a handheld personal digital assistant (PDA)/Tablet PC with an incorporated bar code reader and on board software. This allows for the entire sampling process to be followed as well as data capture. The system can further employ sat-nav software to guide samplers to each sampling point. It helps to meet regulatory requirements of sampling and reduces the costs of collection and documentation.
• A radio frequency identification (RFID) and/or 2D barcode sample labelling and tracking system, designed for hierarchical storage of both room temperature and low temperature samples and related sub samples.
The company are keen to work with LIMS or laboratory instrument vendors via licensing or technical cooperation agreement. Also, universities or companies involved in using laboratories such as in the chemicals and pharmaceutical sector would be of potential interest. The cooperation agreement envisaged are licensing or commercial agreement with technical assistance.
The main advantages of the software solutions are:
• The software solutions are specifically designed to reduce laboratory costs, the laboratory’s carbon footprint and the time spent on administrative work
• They have the potential to improve the laboratory’s speed, turnaround times, results quality and overall productivity
• The software solutions address the fact that the lack of automation and integration within laboratories slows down the workflow and challenges the employees to manually adjust workflows and review, manipulate and validate data before results can be reported
• By using the proposed solution, it is easy to implement electronically the laboratories/companies techniques and standard operating procedures (SOPs) and meet auditing requirements
• The software solutions are compatible with existing customers laboratory management systems/databases to keep the costs of implementation to a minimum.
• The company uses highly advanced software technology (nDrites) that has been developed in major programs over several years. This technology allows the company to design highly flexible software solutions with various functions for a full automation of laboratory workflows including instrument control and data processing.
There are two modes of engagement through which this company is looking to generate revenues. The first one is to engage with end users indirectly by working with vendors. The company is looking for:
• LIMS Vendors- The company is interested in exploring the possibilities to embed their unique solutions into the LIMS/LIS vendor system by licensing agreements. If there are any requirements of further developments, then the company is interested to deal with vendors by technology co-operation agreement.
• Laboratory instrument vendors- The company is keen to work with vendors who provide instruments such as sample introduction systems (i.e. autosampler), separation systems and simpler systems (i.e. balances) to develop advanced software packages allowing for a full automation of instrument control, maintenance, data processing and modification etc. via licensing or technology cooperation agreement.
The second mode is to engage directly with institutions such as universities and research institutes or SMEs or MNEs in chemicals and pharmaceuticals sector via licensing or commercial agreement with technical assistance agreements. Their main role would be to integrate the unique solutions in their laboratory systems for improving the laboratory efficiency and reducing the carbon emission