These are the details for the profile H2020-FTIPilot-2016: Industrial partners and public transportation operators are sought to finalize the development of a green urban bus.
If you would like more information about the profile please click Request More
Information. You will be directed to a new page where you will need
to provide some information about yourself/your business cooperation needs and submit
your expression of interest in the profile . A Network Partner will then contact
you to discuss your interest in greater detail.
A French SME is looking for industrial partners and public transportation operators for a Fast Track to Innovation project. The partners are more likely buses manufacturers, engineering companies, public transportation operators, cities, that are interested in developing, implementing and testing a plug in electric urban bus. The French SME is also considering applying to the SME Instrument – phase 2.
Buses represent 80% of the total European transport; developing more sustainable buses will have a major impact on the environment. Today, even if electric and hybrid buses are more environmentally-friendly, charging time and classical hybrid power trains limit the autonomy and the efficacy of those buses.
The French SME has developed a unique concept based on a multi-hybrid system, coupling 3 different energy sources and a bi-modular frame (a module for passengers and another one for energy) allowing a full capacity usage of the vehicle.
The SME is a well-established SME with 3 main activities :
- car body shop,
- retrofitting of road and rail vehicles and interior
- interior design and refitting of shops and professionals premises
Based on its 60-year experience in refurbishing and retrofitting, and its collaboration with local authorities, the company decided to diversify its activity and to develop an innovative concept of green urban bus: the plug-in electric urban bus.
The first version of the bus has the following characteristics:
- Available in 2 lengths: 10 & 12 meters
- 90 people capacity (mid-size bus)
- 200 km autonomy
- Low energy consumption, reduced emissions
- No additional cost for the set-up of the bus
- Easy access for passengers with wheelchairs and mobility-impaired persons
For a Fast Track to Innovation project, the company is looking for industrial partners and public transportation operators interested in developing, testing and implementing a plug in electric urban bus:
- buses manufacturers
- engineering companies
- public transportation operators
The company has targeted the June cut-off of the Fast Track to Innovation call but might apply to the following cut-off (October 2016), if the proposal is not ready.
Deadline for Expressions of Interest: 01/05/2016
The French SME is also considering applying to the SME Instrument – phase 2.
Current main innovative advantages of the bus are:
- Plug in hybrid & range extender
- Reduction of empty weight (around 20%)
- Full capacity usage of the vehicle
- Energy consumption, noise and CO2 emission of small cylinder engines
- “Connected vehicle” equipped with sensors to allow data collection
- Warranty of batteries: data collected allows the monitoring of the battery ageing
- Integrated SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) standards- Equipped with on-board screen to display key parameters of the hybridisation and video feeds from on board cameras
- Full electric version
- Maintenance forecasting: bus operator will be provided with data collected by the network of on-board selected “calculators”
- Driver-aid system providing live support to the driver to optimise the usage capacities of the bus
- Optimization of energy consumption of the auxiliaries, including an highly efficient air conditioning system
- Development of algorithms to enhance the management of smart multi-hybridization
- Smart tools development for remote and advanced forecasting, based on a real time data exchange with the bus
- Hydrogen / Fuel cell version
- Adaptation to right hand drive (if needed)
Industrials partners and public transportation partners are sought to further develop, implement and test this new plug in electric urban bus.
The first version of the bus, which was homologated in 2014, has already been delivered to 4 French cities (2015).
- Industrial partners: bus manufacturers, engineering companies (composites, fuel cell, maintenance forecasting…)
- Public transportation operators and cities interested in implementing green urban bus
Task to perform:
- Adapt the technology of the bus to different operations environments
- Finalize the development of the plug in electric urban bus
- Demonstrate and evaluate the bus performances in real operating conditions
- Development of new types of vehicle
- Demonstrate the benefits of hybrid electric buses in a mix urban/rural environment
- Cost benefit analysis of a hybrid electric bus compare to a pure electric bus