Innovate UK’s Global Business Innovation Programme (GBIP), delivered by Enterprise Europe Network, is looking for innovative UK SMEs in the graphene sector.
The programme will focus on graphene uses and technology within the electronics, composites and energy sectors. It aims to connect delegates with entrepreneurs, industry leaders, academia and government in the USA.
Successful applicants will be supported through a structured programme and benefit from a six day visit to Boston, USA.
During the visit delegates will attend leading research centres and universities such as Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of Massachusetts (UMASS) Innovation Institute, iMatSci Innovation Showcase, and The Fall Materials Research Society (MRS) Conference. The programme also includes visits to local and global organisations interested in innovative graphene-enabled devices and technologies, with the aim of creating and promoting opportunities for partnering and collaboration.
Delegates will receive bespoke 1-2-1 support from Enterprise Europe Network (EEN) advisers to help them exploit the opportunity before, during and after the visit, as part of the full programme.
The USA is a significant market for emerging advanced materials, of which, graphene plays a prominent role. Boston is renowned for its abundance of research institutes, universities, and has a healthy network of innovative start-up companies and entrepreneurs allowing for networking and collaboration opportunities.
The MRS Conference and iMatSci Innovation Showcase offer prime opportunities to network with a local and global audience, and be informed of the latest graphene and material research and applications.
Benefits of the programme
• Pre-visit advice and support providing market information about how to do business in Boston and the USA, protecting your intellectual property, training on pitching to promote your value proposition, and in-market briefings whilst in Boston.
• Attendance to the global iMatSci Innovation Showcase and the Materials Research Society (MRS) conference to share information around cutting edge technologies and research. The conference features leading global research associations and provides a platform for technology leaders to demonstrate the practical applications of their innovative, materials-based technologies.
• Access to the graphene sector and the opportunity to meet key companies and research organisations.
• Your business profile in the official visit brochure which will be distributed in Boston.
• Networking opportunities and organised meetings with local and global companies. Post visit workshop and tailored support to develop a market exploitation strategy.
Innovate UK will fund flights, five nights’ accommodation, in-market travel, conference fees, and meals for successful applicants. Only one representative from each company will be permitted.
On acceptance to the programme a commitment fee of £500 will be obtained from each delegate which will be refunded on completion of the full programme and agreed action plan. Non-completion of the programme after formal acceptance may result in forfeiting some or all of the fee.
To participate in this programme your business must be an SME and established in the UK. You must be available to attend activities on all key programme dates, and work with an assigned EEN adviser for the full duration of the programme.
Closing date for full application: 30 September 2019
Briefing event: 6 November 2019
In country visit dates: 1 – 6 December 2019
Post visit briefing event: 5 February 2020