The Southern German company was founded as a spin-off of Kempten University of Applied Sciences and is strongly connected to the chair of electrical engineering and cooperates with further Universities. A design prototype and prototypes regarding 2nd life battery cell contacting are available, as well as patents covering the battery cell contacting and media streaming to the system. On this basis, the company offers a system to show and further develop different applications regarding battery storage, ultra-fast charging of Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV), energy management software, grid supporting services, smart (local) grids and out-of-home media.
Beside the charging of BEVs, different grid supporting services can be offered by the system to strengthen the grid in times of higher volatilities of electricity generation.
Additionally, the system includes up to two large displays to show information, movies, or advertising. A patent is pending for the streaming services. The combination of the battery storage and fast charging system with media services lead to advanced requirements regarding thermal management and air conditioning.
To offer a sustainable and economically attractive product, the system is developed for the usage of 2nd and 3rd life batteries. In the next years a high amount of used battery modules with a state of health of about 80 % will be available on the market. The patented technology to exchange worn battery cells out of battery modules to increase the performance of used batteries has to be developed further. It helps to reduce scrap by extending a battery systems life significantly. The battery system will have a capacity of about 200 kWh and the charging system will have a charging power of about 300 kW while the power supply of the system remains at about 20 to 80 kW. These challenging values are important to have a future-proof product available which can adapt the change of mobility and the increasing need of grid stability services.
Core developments are the further improvement of battery module reconditioning, increase of capacity and output power as well as general hardware improvements on electrical and mechanical side.
Hence, the company is looking for technical cooperation with the following focuses:
- the partner installs the system for field testing. The field testing may focus on BEV loading in public or non-public (e.g. companies) locations or on grid serving functions on locations at businesses (supermarkets, industrial sites, hospitals, office buildings, other companies). But they also may focus on climate conditions (hot locations, cold locations, harsh environments (close to sea)) or out-of-home media (advertising, streaming)
- the partner installs the system for collecting user experience and validating the market on different locations
- further development of industrial software (battery management, energy management, cloud applications, storage cluster management)
- further/own development of power electronics (converter)
- further/own development of electronics (power control, battery and energy management, other functions)