The Italian SME has developed an innovative coating that is able to produce electric energy from the sun and heated surfaces. The coating is transparent, based on nano-particles, and can be easily applied to:
-glass windows and doors: the nanocoating, being a transparent thermal conductor, turns out to be completely safe if applied to these materials, transforming the windows into real electricity generators exploiting the difference between the inner and outer surfaces of the glass ;
- photovoltaic modules: the efficiency of commercial photovoltaic panels does not exceed 20% due to overheating problems. With the application on a photovoltaic panel of this coating, the EDT- layer does not affect the conversion of light into electricity, given the transparency of the layer itself, and also manages to cool the panel by increasing its efficiency to 40% and producing electricity using the subtracted heat;
-Insulation modules for thermal coats: These modules are used as external or internal covering of buildings and apartments to increase their energy efficiency and reduce heat loss. If the surface of these panels were coated with EDT, the difference in temperature between the inside of the house and the outside could be exploited to produce electricity, in addition, by converting the heat into electricity, it prevents the passage between inside and outside, thus improving thermal insulation;
- Customized support for energy recovery at an industrial level: large industries are increasingly interested in energy saving and are increasingly adopting solutions that allow them to use energy at a lower cost. Covering metal panels with EDT-layers, in order to create customizable modular structures capable of capturing heat and converting it into electricity, could lead these companies to self-produce part of the electricity required at a very competitive price.
With the creation of the smart window as well as having a system capable of producing energy from the thermal differential (external and internal temperature), inserted in a domotic system it can act as an alarm system, since EDT is a thermal detector. It can also detect anomalous presences of people, for surveillance and security.
The The SME is open for collaboration with companies, research centres and universities for partnering in research projects.
Moreover, preferred partners are private companies for the following cooperations:
• license agreement: licensing for the use of the application;
• commercial agreement with technical assistance: the partner should provide to the company all the information about its requirements in order the company to set up a customized product
- partening in collaborative research funded projects