Augmented reality (AR) has become a new buzzword in the digital world, and it is applied in multiple industries from gaming (i.e. Pokemon Go) and ecommerce to education and healthcare.
Along with this trend, one of the Korean media tech companies has launched the Korea’s first AR (Augmented Reality) camera mobile application in 2015 and achieved a total of 14 million downloads worldwide. Based on its own know-how and technology, the company has developed their own AR core engine (so called AR software development kit) that contains more than 6,000 2D&3D AR contents created in-house. The company holds about 120 global IPs(Intellectual Properties).
There are two different types of services the company offers.
1. AR SDK (AR Software Development Kit)
Some of the major features offered are face recognition/detection, face landmark, face tracking, AR stickers & effects which are all based on high-precision facial landmarks that enables developers to integrate their existing services with AR. *AR SDK : AR core engine developed by the company
Facial landmark detection is the task of detecting key landmarks on the face and tracking them (being robust and non-rigid facial deformations due to head movements and facial expression)
**Further detailed information :
1) Facial Landmark Engine
This engine sets apart AR from competitors by allowing for the use of the most advanced face AR features including:
- Real-time tracking (extracts 85 landmarks)
- Tracking 5 faces simultaneously in real-time
- Providing real-time 3D Head Pose information
- Triggering on real-time face movement
- Eyebrows / Eyes / Mouth Landmarks can be added
2) Facial Landmark Trigger
By activating triggers with eyes, mouth, or head rolls, uses can trigger different AR effects.
3) Virtual makeup
- Applying makeup such as mascara, lipstick, eye shadow, or blush on users
4) 2D AR sticker
- 2D animation stickers and effects have the following technologies: 2D Sprite Animation, 2D PNG Sequence Animation, and Background effects.
5) 3D Animation Sticker
- 3D Blendshape/ Skeletal Animation
- UV Texture mapping rendering
- 3D Light rendering
- Diffuse / Highlight/ Normal bump
- GLSL Shader language edit
6) Real-time Segmentation
- Its machine learning engineers created seamless real-time portrait segmentation with accurate boundaries for a perfect virtual background effect.
7) 3D Avatar
- AI-driven algorithms produce 3D avatars representing a real- life person from a single photo
2. AR Service Development
This AR Service development is for companies that want to create greater value through AR technology. The example of AR Service development: AR video call (3D Avatar & AR stickers), AR commerce (AR Solution & Development i.e. “virtual try-on” services), AR entertainment content, etc.
The company has been steadily growing and become a partner of some of the world’s largest social media mobile manufacturers, animation studios and etc. The company is looking for global partners with demands to create greater value with its AR features in their services under license and/or outsourcing agreements.
- License agreement: The Korean company's seeking licensees who's interested in using their AR contents and create better solution for users.
- Outsourcing agreement: The Korean company's offering customized AR contents(AR software development kit) for those in need.