European countries are engaged on increasing the renewable and alternative energy use.
However, the penetration of renewable energy sources can cause heavy fluctuations in the whole load system and damage the quality of the electricity network. Moving from conventional generation to variable distributed energy production impacts considerably the electric grid structure. This change leads to a new grid architecture characterized by a growing variability and uncertainty triggered by the high penetration of the renewable energy sources. Thus, balancing power supply and demand become a very challenging task.
To cope with drawback of the inherent variability of the renewable energy sources, the French university thinks that a solution should be find to provide more flexibility to the Virtual Power Plant (VPP). Their FlexVPP project aims to develop a cloud-based virtual power plant that aggregates the capacities of intermittent Distributed Renewable Energy Resources (DRER).
FlexVPP aims to make VPP more flexible, stable and profitable by investigating and ensuring the following properties:
- Flexibility metering / index:
o evaluate annual, weekly and daily flexibility requirements,
o evaluate sensibility of those requirement towards: network interconnection and penetration level of renewable energy sources.
- Uncertainties of virtual power plant and stochastic techniques for effective costing and participation
- The multi-time scale rolling scheduling strategy which combines day-ahead scheduling, hoursahead scheduling, and real-time dispatch.
- Smart controllability of DRER
- Cybersecurity, transparency, scalability, …
Strategic objectives :
- Propose a multi agent-based model for the VPP that considers all parameters related to the DRER / simulate the impact of extended VPP (structure, power, geographic) on the distribution
and electricity network.
- Develop a scalable cloud-based FlexVPP platform
- Design the VPP and define KPIs to characterize the Flexibility Level Integrity and the profitability of a VPP
- Predict, understand and mitigate uncertainties
- Enhance the supply-demand balance, stability and energy savings
- Provide ancillary and flexible services and propose a tailored distributed ledger technology business model
- Compare the proposed solution with VPP combined with electrochemical storage
FlexVPP will study diverse case studies related to the uncertainties as follows:
1. Evaluate the flexibility of our solution face to the variability of resources (summer/winter, night/day), changeability of VPP structure and propose accurate prediction models. How the
other power plant will compensate this variability?
2. Assess the performance and the reaction of FlexVPP in the case of high fluctuating productions and consumptions.
3. Evaluate the impact of trading uncertainty and price variation (sport market) on the decision making (lightning network / smart contract etc …) and assess the users’ acceptance of this
technology. (national / cross-border interconnexions)
To achieve this project, the research team is looking for several partners to build a strong consortium : distribution system operator (DSO) or a transmission system operator (TSO), a specialist in big data analysis / stochastic predictions, and a company specialized in complex cloud / ICT systems for electric grids.
The deadline for EOIs : 27 July 2019
The deadline of the call : 27 August 2019