The Polish independent start-up and the public national research institute from the biotechnology field has developed a new generation of the innovative diagnostic tumors’ markers for medical applications. The start-up has been working jointly with the institute. In the past, they worked on a few innovative projects like the new generation of tissue glue/sealants, biomaterial applications in medicine, nanoparticles applications in medicine.
1. Short description of the project: diagnostic markers for RT- Respiratory Tract tumors, GI-Gastro-Intestinal Tract tumors, Head and Neck tumors, Female Reproductive Tract tumors.
2. Development of the specific bimodal markers for non/mini-invasive detection of cancers/metastases.
Applicable for the GI -tract tumors, tumors of the respiratory tract, lung cancers and metastases (in this tissue with 100% specificity), tumors of the head and neck area, tumors of the female reproductive tract.
3. Target detection method: MRI and fluorescent bronchoscopy for the whole-body screening, precise delineation of the tumors during fluorescence-guided biopsy and fluorescence-guided surgery.
Markers based on the Zirconium (biostable) or Zinc (bio-degradable) oxides doped with rare-earth ions for MRI contrast and/or fluorescent excitation/emission range within the visible light range (tuned to non-photo-toxic, widely available illumination sources commonly used in medical applications).
4. Applicability for screening purposes, non-invasive detection of tumors and metastases (MRI), fluorescence-guided biopsy and fluorescence-guided surgery.
In general, all MRI contrasts used in the medicine are based on gadolinium which toxic effects and accumulation in the kidneys and the brain was confirmed in the literature.
5. Safety of the material was confirmed not only for acute exposition but also during chronic exposure and after multiple (daily or weekly) applications. Excitation-emission spectra of nanoparticle fluorescence are tuned to the typical visible-light spectrum commonly used in medical applications and research.
6. Currently, they finalized general research concerning the nanoparticle uptake, organism distribution, and elimination/biodegradation of the product in animal study. First medical trials on the animal patients of the veterinary oncology clinic is underway.
7. Projects could be further advanced for the next level and are currently estimated at 5-7/10. For the next 2-3 years, they plan to test the tumor’s markers on humans, with an option to work additionally on advanced specificity of the markers, for specific tumors in the GI tract (tumors of the stomach, large intestine), Respiratory tract (bronchial carcinoma, lung carcinoma), Head and Neck tumors (very diversified group of almost 100 different tumors), Female reproductive organ’s tumors.
The start-up and the public national research institute IF- PAN is looking for investors such as Venture Capitals, Equity Funds, Private Equities, Joint Ventures, Angel Investors, etc.
The aim of potential investors will be to financially support further products’ development in order to come up with the finally ready to sell products on the market.
Investors, in return, would acquire equity in the project, depending on the scale of their financial backup.
The enterprise is to raise Euro 3-5 mln for the next 2 years, and Euro 6-10 mln for the next 5 years.
Joint Venture agreement is considered as a type of a partnership.