The accelerated growth in cyber threats is likely to see the cost of cybercrimes increase exponentially from US$3 trillion in 2015 to US$6 trillion by 2021, according to Cybersecurity Ventures. The current software approach is insufficient as a response to these threats. For example, when a new type of ransomware emerges, it takes hours or days for the security software to update and synchronise their library with the cloud, but the system and data would have been compromised in just minutes.
The technology that the Singapore SME has developed equips the SSD with a powerful microprocessor and hardware sensors to run sophisticated AI algorithms. The AI technology performs real-time monitoring to detect all the anomalies in data access patterns or any signs of compromise based on behaviour, while carrying out other tasks in parallel. As the patented machine-learning AI learns the user's activities and behaviours and performs CPU threat detection based on its definitive patterns, it allows the real-time detection of unknown threats like new ransomware, instead of relying on frequent software updates, which create opportunities for new ransomware to break in.
Also, the in-built security mechanism in the firmware runs under software security offload memory consumption to provide accelerated detection and prevention of cyber threats.
The built-in hardware sensors such as a thermal sensor, an accelerometer and an ambient light sensor allow the SSD to offer protection against large arrays of alternative threats on a hardware level, even through physical attacks.
The main features of this solution include:
• Guard Threat Lock: Provides data protection against ransomware, malware, viruses, and unknown threats
• Stream Protection: Used for signal communication security against threats like side-channel attacks
• Factor Encryption Lock: Enables authentication and security key protection
• Secure firmware update: Disables firmware update attacks by requiring unique single-use encryption and decryption keys to be securely signed before a firmware update is allowed to proceed
• Site Secure: First and last level of defense against physical attacks on data by monitoring the power, temperature & physical movement of the devices and responding when threats are detected
• File Forensic Agent: Keeps track of audit trails in data security
All computers, laptops, servers, equipment, and devices that use SSD as a data storage device can use this cybersecurity SSD solution as the last line of defense to protect its data against the evolving cyber threats. Even systems that already have security software running at the system level can use this SSD to add a deeper security layer that reduces the dependence on potentially vulnerable security software at the system level. System-level security software cannot offer the level of protection at the closest-proximity to the data with real-time security that this solution can.
The technology provider is interested in licensing or commercial partnerships with technical assistance with MNEs/SMEs of all sizes.