This Spanish biotechnology company has two main lines of activity:
1-. Microbial bioprospecting, covering the whole bioprospecting process, from sampling to the implementation of the final process or product in the client’s facilities:
- Sampling. The company has a vast experience in the collection of samples from a range of different sources, including extreme environments, food industries and human-associated samples, among others. When collecting samples, maximum sterility and optimal conservation are ensured until the processing of the samples, as well as collection of all necessary metadata and of an adequate number of samples for each condition, allowing to obtain statistically significant results.
- Isolation. After the sampling process, the company combines traditional culturing methods using optimized microbial growth media, with the latest advances in culturing techniques, including adaptive evolution strategies and an Augmented Bioprospecting Platform, a system developed in house for cultivating microorganisms that allows to increase the number of cultivable microorganisms by applying nutrient gradients.
- Selection and characterization. Once the samples have been cultured, individual strains or simplified microbial consortia are isolated and conserved for future uses. The next step is to characterize these strains and consortia to detect microbial activities of interest and, in this sense, the company offers a range of services: taxonomic and functional characterization using omic analyses; characterization using microbial models; screening for antioxidant or antiobesity activities using a Galleria mellonella model; application of chemical and molecular techniques to detect and quantify production of a certain enzyme or metabolite.
- Production. The company offers small-to-medium scale productions, with food-grade facilities and means to produce microbial cultures of up to 120 litres at a time that can be then conserved either as fresh or lyophilised biomass.
- Personalized technical support. Finally, the company offers personalized technical support for the implementation of the novel process or the development of the novel products in the client’s facilities. This technical support covers several areas, including but not limited to: the on-site production of microbial biomass, the adaptation of spaces so they are adequate for handling foodstuff, personalized training activities and courses for staff members.
2-. Creation, production and commercialization of its own products, in particular, microbial-based products for the food industry. The company also owns a collection of microbial strains with different applications as food starters, probiotics, or bioremediation agents. Their strains are available for licensing under terms to be discussed.
The company is searching for European and overseas organizations that would be interested in subcontracting R+D activities with them, licensing their microbial strains, or outsourcing routine biomass production or microbial analyses with them. The company offers different and innovative services and is ready to work with other entities by providing them. The company has come to automate some processes and that is why it can offer its services to be outsourced or licensed, with proven security.