The institute is the leading unit in Bulgaria in the R&D field of aerospace technologies, solar-terrestrial and space physics (solar wind, magnetospheric and ionospheric physics, high and middle atmospheric physics, space weather), high-energy astrophysics, galactic cosmic rays, medico-biological studies related to space biotechnologies, heliobiology and telemedicine. The unit has vast experience in design, development and transfer of methods, instrumentation and technologies for remote sensing of the Earth, regional and global monitoring of the environment and security. They have successfully implemented collaborative project with national and international partners.
Personnel, even being well-trained and highly-skilled, that has to perform activities in extreme / harsh conditions is exposed to serious risk in terms of performance, physical condition, psychological condition, interrelations and even survival. Effective assessment is needed in order to effectively determine the risks and the measures to be taken in that relation.
The innovative specialised device is intended for assessing the capabilities of a person for coping with complex situations having extreme influence of the factors of the operative environment.
During the examination process several things are assessed:
- Situational vigilance (awareness) – perceptive activity; sustainability, spreadability, volume and selectivity of the attention, work memory, situation assessment
- decision making
- ability to cope with insufficient and contradictory information
- adaptability to changes in the environment
- ability to execute simultaneously running activities
- stress management – flexibility, emotional stability, readiness for rejection and stressors management
- the individual profile of the physiological reactions in stress management
The research units is seeking commercial agreements with technical assistance with industrial partners in order to adapt the device to their specific needs and requirement providing know-how and expertise.