If you would like more information about the profile please click
. You will be directed to a new page where you will need
to provide some information about yourself/your business cooperation needs and submit
your expression of interest in the profile . A Network Partner will then contact
you to discuss your interest in greater detail.
A Dutch SME has developed a compact range extender technology to be used for hybrid motor applications in transport and power generator areas.
The main advantages are reduced fuel consumption, compact light weight design and ready to use base technology, resulting in a faster and cheaper full scale development cycle.
The SME is interested in a commercial agreement with technical assistance with researchers and manufacturers of hybrid motors or other hybrid power based systems.
A Dutch SME, spin off from an urban mobility developer, is since 2008 active in developing hybrid power management systems, and is offering its range extender technology package for further adaptation and development to any partner that requires an innovative range extender function. This package lowers both partner’s time to market and overall development costs considerably.
Electrification, energy transition and electric vehicles are topics with a lot of development projects and activities. A lot of SMEs are looking into this field and run into technical and strategic issues for specific challenges.
Available off the shelf solutions are fine for a proof of concept but do not provide the needed functions nor price point for industrialization and commercialization, while a full scale development cycle is either too costly or takes too long. This is the reason why the Dutch SME offers its range extender technology package.
The range extender technology package consist of:
1. A working prototype of a range extender (internal combustion engine (petrol), electric generator and controller).
2. A test bench for range extender prototypes.
3. Mechanical and electrical intellectual property rights.
4. Assistance from the engineers.
The range extender technology package is offered to a broad audience, although it is expected that, depending on actual situation and requirements, organizations that require over time several hundreds or thousands of units are most viable suspects to become a partner.
The range extender consists of the following 3 major (functional) technical parts:
• 1-cylinder/2-piston/2-stroke petrol engine (without crankshaft).
• Electrical generator (acting as starter on engine start up).
• Controller for motor and generator unit with software control.
Lubrication is done via an integrated oil pump, while cooling takes place via liquid (water) supplied via an external pump. This allows the car to be heated during winter time.
Due to its design the prototype offers reduced fuel consumption compared to petrol based internal combustion engines with a crankshaft and more cylinders.
The extensive test bench is part of the package and provides a stable environment for further developments and measurements of the range extender.
Further included in the package are intellectual property rights, detailed schematics, source codes, bill of materials, hardware, stock parts to build additional prototypes, contact details for suppliers et cetera for both the range extender prototype and the test bench.
The range extender is developed to be a lightweight and compact solution that, when fully integrated in an electrical powertrain, can provide a compact drivetrain at low costs. Component costs for the range extender vary depending on the volume and configuration. Unit prices can be calculated to be well below €500,-.
Markets for the range extender and its technology components (engine, generator and controller) are not limited to automotive, but can be any application requiring range extender functions in for example marine, general transport and power generation applications.
The Dutch SME looks for close cooperation with researchers, developers and manufacturers of hybrid motors or other hybrid power based management systems.
The Dutch SME is interested in commercial agreements with technical assistance to come to the next generations of the hybrid power systems. It is the intention that the partner takes the range extender prototype of the Dutch SME as a base for its own development in its own specific business case. But also the partner is expected to bring in their specifications for the complete application of the hybrid power system and will be a co-developer of that application in transportation, marine and power generator areas.
The Dutch SME will give technical assistance to come to a flying start and a win-win.
• Experienced designers: developed by engineers that successfully developed innovative urban mobility solutions.
• Working principle: the range extender motor consists of symmetrical structure with two opposed pistons in a single cylinder without a crankshaft. The symmetrically balanced linear reciprocating motion of these pistons is converted in a rotational motion by means of a sinus shape of the central rotating ring. This rotation ring is part of a rotor with magnets rotating along copper windings thus generating electric power.
• Scavenging: very efficient uni-flow scavenging based on computational fluid dynamics and see-through cylinder.
• Start up: no start up motor needed: starting by generator.
• Intelligent software: can run stand alone, or under control of for example CAN-bus. This allows the car computer to request a given output power, automatically starting the range extender and (dynamically) providing the requested power output at optimum rpm settings.
• Compact & lightweight: dimensions of 600 millimetres x Ø 345 millimetres, at about 64 kilogram for the total unit.
• Fuel consumption: circa 400 gram per KiloWatthour, 15 KiloWatt Direct Current (KW DC) output power, including generator and inverter.
• Scale-able design: can scale above current maximum output of 25 KW DC power.
• Inverter technology: very efficient sensor less for lower cost and higher reliability.
• Multi-fuel capable: currently petrol, but can easily be modified.
• Mass-production mind set: developed with a series/mass production mind-set and careful selection of purchase parts on functionality, price and quality using as much as possible certified automotive components.
• Test bench: provides a stable environment for further developments, measurements and industrialization.
• Full details: schematics, drawings, software sources, gerber/jedec files, bill of material, some stock parts to build additional prototypes, contact details of suppliers et cetera.
Type of partner:
Industry or research institutes
Manufacturers of hybrid motors and/or hybrid power management systems.
Development departments or research institutes for hybrid motors and/or hybrid power management systems.
Role of the partner:
The manufacturer and/or researcher of the hybrid motor and/or hybrid power management system is desired to provide the specifications for their application. Also it is expected that the manufacturer and/or researcher becomes co-developer and manufacturer of the final application.
The Dutch SME offers the range extender technology package and will give support to come to a quick win-win and a final successful application of the hybrid power system.