If you would like more information about the profile please click
. You will be directed to a new page where you will need
to provide some information about yourself/your business cooperation needs and submit
your expression of interest in the profile . A Network Partner will then contact
you to discuss your interest in greater detail.
A Spanish (Catalan) company specialised in design and manufacture of thermal, thermo-acoustic and electromagnetic insulations for automotive industry, is looking for technologies to thermally insulate the battery pack housing to optimize the performance of electric vehicles batteries and guarantee the protection of the passengers in case of thermal runaway inside the battery. The company is looking for collaboration in the form of research cooperation, technical cooperation or license agreement.
The Catalan enterprise, founded in 1984, is a global Tier 1 leader providing shielding solutions to reduce heat and noise and eliminate electromagnetic interferences by means of metal based stamping parts. It currently manufactures more than 22 million shields per year, and it is a worldwide player with strong presence in the European, Asian and North American markets. They own the following certifications:
• IATF 16949 - Quality management system for automotive production
• ISO 14001 - Environmental Management Standard
• OHSAS 18001 - Occupational Health and Safety Management
In the last few years, the company has started to develop and produce housings to protect electric vehicle (EV) battery packs from electromagnetic interferences. Now, they want to add an additional feature to the housings to keep the temperature of the batteries at a constant level, optimizing their lifetime and capacity, without making use of any additional energy input.
To achieve this improvement, they are looking for thermal insulation technologies to be attached either inside or outside of the housings, thus insulating the cells that make up the batteries keeping them in a range of temperature between 15 and 35 degrees Celsius (°C). Moreover, the solution should ensure protection of occupants of the EV in case of thermal runaway inside the battery pack housing, preventing fire from spreading and affecting the vehicle within five minutes of its inception.
The company is interested in a research or technical cooperation agreement with a partner with whom to collaborate in the development of the insulating and fire propagation retarding solution.
A license agreement could be also envisaged for this collaboration.
The company is seeking recyclable solutions attachable to the battery pack housing with:
• Weight not exceeding 0,3 kg/m2.
• Thickness equal to or less than 10 mm.
• Thermal insulance equal to or greater than 0,4 m2K/W.
And compliant with:
• The European regulation on Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH).
• The Global Automotive Declarable Substance List (GADSL).
Additionally, the thermal insulation technologies sought, have to be able to protect the vehicle and minimize the likelihood of thermal runaway fire propagation of the battery, which is a mechanism of self-accelerating chemical chain reaction inside of the battery, which in extreme cases can lead to combustion.
Given that the company unknowns which is the availability and stage of development of the technology that could fulfil his requirements, the requested solution can be:
• Available for demonstration
• In a concept stage
• A proposal under development
• A prototype available for demonstration
• Under development / lab tested
The Catalan company is open to collaborate with start-ups, SMEs, universities or R&D institutions that either:
• Have a deep knowledge and expertise in thermal insulation technologies and are looking for a partner to develop a solution that meets the Catalan company request. In this case, depending on the stage of development of the solution, the collaboration could range from research to technical cooperation agreement.
• Are looking for a licensee for a thermal insulation technology suitable for electric vehicle battery pack housing.