If you would like more information about the profile please click
. You will be directed to a new page where you will need
to provide some information about yourself/your business cooperation needs and submit
your expression of interest in the profile . A Network Partner will then contact
you to discuss your interest in greater detail.
Established Slovak scientific and research institute in cooperation with a Slovak university has managed to breed a new variety of Amaranthus cruentus, which has an increased seed production potential compared to the so far industrially exploited varieties, while maintaining a high nutritional value with a number of biologically valuable substances. The preferred cooperation types are license agreement and financial agreement.
A team of breeders from the Slovak research institute in cooperation with Slovak university has managed to breed a new variety of Amaranthus cruentus L., which is a very promising crop for the future thanks to its valuable characteristics in combination with adaptation to a wide range of growing regions. The institute was established in 1990, aimed to solve actual problems of genetics and breeding of selected agricultural crops, forest and fruit trees. The university which was engaged in the development process belongs to well-known university with the strong expertise in humanities and Natural Sciences.
Variety characteristics are: medium early variety of high stature and of grain type with an average weight of 1000 seeds of 0.96 g.
Possibilities of use:
• cultivation for seed with potential utilization in the food industry for the production of healthy and special foods for the health support of the population (e.g. for the production of gluten-free cereal products needed for people suffering from celiac disease),
• good possibilities for use also in pharmaceutical and cosmetic industry thanks to uniquely small starch grains.
The institute is looking for a partner for licensing and financing the technology in this and related fields.
• increased seed production potential, while maintaining high nutritional value with a number of biologically valuable substances,
• very high nutritional value with high protein content (16 - 18%),
• well-balanced composition of essential amino acids,
• high content of calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron and phosphorus,
• relatively high fiber content (5 - 25%),
• increased folate content,
• tolerance to drought and to high temperatures,
• possibility of cultivation also in arid and semiarid conditions,
• ability to grow also in poorer soils that are not suitable for cereal crops,
• high adaptability to altitude.
Granted certificate in Slovakia in the National Register of Varieties
Type: The institute is seeking an industrial partner for licensing or financing the technology.
Field of activity: The variety is intended for use in the food industry and also in the pharmaceutical and cosmetic industry.
License agreement - the Slovak research institute is looking for licensees
Financial agreement - an investor is sought.
Award "Golden Sickle" in the competition of exhibits at the International Agricultural and Food Exhibition