If you would like more information about the profile please click
. You will be directed to a new page where you will need
to provide some information about yourself/your business cooperation needs and submit
your expression of interest in the profile . A Network Partner will then contact
you to discuss your interest in greater detail.
Italian SME has developed an innovative concept of energy geostructures provided by clean, renewable and locally available thermal energy source. By thermally activating the structural elements of a construction in direct contact with the ground, a low enthalpy geothermal system can be achieved. The SME is looking for technical cooperation agreements for participation to tenders and commercial agreement with technical assistance.
Energy geostructures are geotechnical structures with the double role of providing structural stability and exchanging heat with the ground to heat and cool adjacent buildings and infrastructures, using the principle of low enthalpy geothermal systems.
In principle, all structures in contact with the ground can be used as energy geostructures. Piles, micropiles, diaphragm walls, anchors, tunnel linings can be mentioned among this technology. They can all be thermally activated by embedding a circuit of pipes into their concrete members and by circulating a heat carrier fluid along it. This circuit is called the primary circuit and provides heat to a secondary circuit, that of the user. The connection among them can occur directly, as in the case of free heating and free cooling, or through a heat pump, allowing to vary the temperature to the necessary one.
These structures can be used for heating and cooling of adjacent buildings, with a reduction of the initial installation costs.
The company can support the clients from the preliminary assessment and the tender documents up to the thermal and mechanical design and the final construction stages of energy geostructures. The prediction of the behaviour of geostructures and geo-materials is achieved by using the most advanced state of-the-art 2D and/or 3D coupled numerical methods (Thermo-hydro, Thermo-mechanical and Thermo-hydro-mechanical) in order to reproduce the geothermal system and quantify the exploitable heat and the structural performance.
The SME is looking for technical cooperation agreements for participation to tenders and commercial agreement with technical assistance.
- Energy geostructures provide a clean, renewable and locally available thermal energy source;
- Energy piles can allow heat exchange in the order between 30 to 80 W/m; energy walls between 30 to 50 W/m2 and energy tunnels between 20 to 60 W/m2;
- Energy geostructures can allow for the reduction of the initial installation costs, compared to installing conventional geothermal solutions, largely due to the supplementary use of structures which would be constructed in any case;
- In the case of energy tunnels, the use of these particular segments can provide more than 1 MW of thermal energy per kilometer of tunnel or reduce ventilation costs of mountain tunnels;
- Energy tunnels can be used as means of district heating and cooling systems.
A patent for a tunnel segmental lining is granted in Italy (Enertun N.102016000020821) and applied for Europe.
The company is looking for partners for participation to tenders of large civil and building engineering infrastructures design and/or construction.
The company is also looking for contractors or designers that want to innovate the construction sector taking advantage of the innovative technological option offered by thermo-active structures, improving the building's energy performance towards Near Zero Emission buildings.
The company was set in 2016 as an engineering company and a follow up of a spin-off company of the Politecnico di Torino, active between 2013 and 2016.
It is active in geological and geotechnical sector. Main strengths are:
– the design of energy geostructures
– ground based radar monitoring of landslides and infrastructures
– numerical modelling for the solution of geotechnical problems (tunnelling and underground excavations, landslides).