If you would like more information about the profile please click
. You will be directed to a new page where you will need
to provide some information about yourself/your business cooperation needs and submit
your expression of interest in the profile . A Network Partner will then contact
you to discuss your interest in greater detail.
Spanish research group, characterized by multi-disciplinary members with diverse profiles (geomatics, computer scientist, industrial engineers, civil engineers and architects), offers “all-in-one” welding inspection tool, weld map, based on the integration of photogrammetric (PHO) and ultrasonic technique (UT), that reduces costs and improve quality.
They are seeking for partners interested in license, technical cooperation and financial agreements.
The multidisciplinary Spanish research group is involved in several and important projects since 2005, with the aim of development and application of intelligent sensors and computer systems to engineering and architecture applications. One of the main streams of this group is the transfer of technology with 11 patents and 21 intellectual properties.
It works on several projects in collaboration with leading companies in these industries and other issues related to aerospace systems, energy, security, transport and road inventory and maintenance.
Up till now, the control of welding involves a high cost due to the sophistication of the technology used and the costs associated with the accreditation of qualified staff.
The technical description of this welding inspection tool system offered (weld map), is divided into three parts:
1. Weld map photogrammetric description: is the most innovative component of the system. It is a hardware-software device that allows the generation of micro-submillimetric resolution 3D models corresponding to weld beads.
2. Weld map ultrasonic description: The hardware used for the ultrasonic welding inspection is a proven technology, commercially available and widely used. The company can personalize introducing only small modifications to their product in order to integrate them with “weld map photogrammetric description” module.
3. Remote controlled robotic vehicle: the component that will give movement to the device will be designed to be easily integrated to the previous parts, which will have the possibility of being attached and detached, so that it can be also operated manually if selected.
The group are seeking entities and companies for:
• Technical cooperation agreement to improve the results of the technology welding control.
• Financial agreement: the group is open to finance for developing control technology.
• License agreement with quality control companies, or companies that want to introduce this technology in their devices.
There are various solutions for welding control on the market, however, the first inspection is visual and requires the presence of an inspector. Visual inspection is a service usually offered by companies for quality control and, in general, is integrated into the comprehensive service control. The system offered will allow cost savings by avoiding the in-situ presence of an engineer specialized in welding to assess the geometry of the weld bead and any existing defect or imperfection. In addition, it will carry out a welding remote control from the office in a more comprehensive and consistent manner according to the international standards. Furthermore, the 3D scanning of welds will provide a useful catalogue of welds for maintenance and prevention.
Currently, competition is working with technologies already established in the market such as ultrasonic, penetrating fluids and X-rays, but always with the aim of detecting internal damage of the welding.
However, international standards specify a set of geometric parameters relating to the welding surface, aspect that no competing product solves.
The system covers a new aspect of the market (external control of the welding) and is complemented by other established techniques (internal control of welding), saving costs and improving customer service quality.
The group is interested to contact companies (quality control, metal pipes manufacturing, Metallic Welding services, Oil & Gas, Power generation plants, Shipbuilding, aeronautical) for the implementation of welding control in industries, to reach a license and a technical cooperation agreement for further development and market application
Also are open to financial agreement to develop this control welding technology.