If you would like more information about the profile please click
. You will be directed to a new page where you will need
to provide some information about yourself/your business cooperation needs and submit
your expression of interest in the profile . A Network Partner will then contact
you to discuss your interest in greater detail.
A Korean company in the adhesive coating field provides optical barrier tapes that can be applied in thin-film packaging, solar cells, and display areas. It has a higher adhesive force than existing products, so it can be attached to the top of solar roof tiles at room temperature. This increases the efficiency of solar cells. Its differentiated process enables cost reduction. The company seeking a European partner company to collaborate under research or technical cooperation agreement.
In recent years, the solar power industry is getting more and more widespread and thriving, but in contrast with the commercial property market, the residential solar market is becoming less concentrated. This is because the roof and the solar panels are separated units, so there can be loose tiles during the installation process. Due to faulty wiring, tiny cracks on the panels, or disruptions in the water on the roof make solar cells less efficient.
In response to that, one company proposed a solar roof that replaces existing solar panels with roof tiles instead of attaching large solar panels to the roof. This can increase the efficiency of solar cells without harming the aesthetics of the roof. The flexible solar cell is not only lightweight but also able to bend, making it suitable for installing to curved roofs. In addition, copper indium gallium selenide (CIGS) solar cells among flexible solar cells have high conversion efficiency and no photodegradation. Moreover, long-term reliability is excellent and the manufacturing cost is relatively low.
The replacement of the bonding material (barrier tapes) developed by this Korean company in the front sheet of the solar cell resulted in a 40% cost savings compared to its competitors. The existing flexible packaging technology is vacuum thermos-compression, but the technology developed by the company has no thermal process but is a lamination process. This roll-to-roll process helps to reduce costs.
Having this strong point, the company's optical barrier tapes can be directly attached to the upper part of the flexible solar cell at room temperature. Compared with the existing films, bubbles can be significantly removed. When the bubbles are removed, the efficiency of the solar cells can also be maximized.
The company wishes to find a European partner company or an institute for technical cooperation or research cooperation because their newly developed technology can be utilized in various application fields and has to be further developed with a partner company to enter the European market. Hence under technical cooperation, the potential partner would help the company exploring the ways to the new fields of applications and leverage its commercialization to the market. The research cooperation agreement, on the other hand, will lead the two companies to join a EUREKA project even for further development.
The possible fields of new applications are as follows:
- Optical tapes, transparent tapes used for advertisement, architectural (glass) transparent tapes, automotive transparent tapes, flexible LED display, transparent display, newly developed display adhesive tapes, etc.
- Smart window surface moisture permeation / anti-permeation films such as electrochromic, polarized particle dispersion (SPD), polymer dispersed liquid crystal (PDLC)
- offers adhesive barrier tape solution that can be directly attached on the top of flexible solar cells at room temperature
- has simple lamination process completely different from conventional vacuum thermos compression process
- the rate of air removal increases by applying micro patterned release technology
- provides better bonding to adjacent layers on the barrier film
- able to significantly eliminate bubbles compared to existing films
- offers roll-to-roll processing at a lower cost
- produces air-free patterned release film using UV imprinting technology
- Type of partner sought: a company or a research institute
- Specific area of activity of the partner: in the field of solar cell packaging, display packing or others that the company’s bonding material (optical barrier tapes) can be applied.
- The task to be performed: Under research cooperation agreement or technical cooperation agreement, together with a partner company the Korean company wants to further research or develop an advanced technology/application technology related to adhesive tapes. This would help the company exploring the ways to the new fields of applications and leverage its commercialization to the market. The research cooperation agreement will lead the two companies to consider joining a EUREKA project.