If you would like more information about the profile please click
. You will be directed to a new page where you will need
to provide some information about yourself/your business cooperation needs and submit
your expression of interest in the profile . A Network Partner will then contact
you to discuss your interest in greater detail.
A UK developer of functional and smart coatings for the electronics manufacturers is looking for developers of the same, under technical cooperation, license and financial agreements. They can develop and commercialise novelties in this field on a global scale.
A leading UK developer of functional nano coatings and application equipment for the protection of electronic devices is looking for innovation in this field. They supply to manufacturers (ODM and OEM) to apply during manufacturing and assembly processes. Demands are rising for the functionality for electronic devices.
Smart coatings allow the end product to retain all the aesthetic and performance properties it was designed with, despite demanding use by consumers and any environmental influences.
The company wishes to augment their existing platform to deliver additional functional coatings to assist manufacturers of electronic devices, in particular mobile phones. In particular, collaboration with appropriate technology partners is sought around:
- Waterproof (IPx7 and IPx8) – solutions to protect the entire device (without use of bulky sealing parts), specifically addressing the air gaps required for the effective operation of components such as LCD, camera, speaker, microphone, sensors;
- Anti-scratch – high performance to protect against everyday abrasion
- Durable anti-fingerprint – requires a permanent oleophobic (oil-repellent) surface.
The company is readily able to introduce innovative new coatings, treatments and solutions to this sector, providing an excellent opportunity for companies wishing to expand their market penetration or enter new markets.
The company has excellent worldwide presence in Europe, the Americas and crucially in the Asian manufacturing markets, ensuring access to both customers and their manufacturing sites.
This private company is ready and able to invest in the further development and commercialisation of the best technical solutions for their markets, and is keen to identify and work with potential technology partners. Potential solutions should have completed proof of concept and ideally be tested for an electronic device application.
The type of cooperation may include licensing, technical cooperation, financial agreement, dependent on the stage of development. Some technologies will be mature enough to be transferred under license. If further development is needed, the UK company can fund the development of the partner under a finance agreement, or undertake joint technical cooperation.
Enabling technology to achieve any above properties
- Enhanced bonding for oil repellent treatments;
- Selective coating/treatment in automated/high-speed environment (e.g. for combining treatments);
- Self-healing solutions (e.g. to allow durable coatings to be maintained) and longer lasting;
- Non-coating solutions to complement existing coatings to provide a complete system;
- Coatings to provide additional functionality (e.g. methods to create BOTH a hard and oil-repellent surface simultaneously);
- Coatings or methods to give plastic materials the same optical, mechanical, and aesthetic properties as glass (to allow the use of lower cost materials that have inherently different properties to provide functions above).
Solutions able to utilise pulsed plasma deposition/PVD/CVD (physical vs chemical vapour deposition) are of high interest, as are those that can provide additional properties (e.g. Electro Static Discharge protection). Nevertheless, the company is willing to review technologies that will supplement their own.
Type of partner sought: industry and academia.
- Specific area of activity of the partner: developers of functional and smart coatings.
- Task to be performed by the partner sought: industry and academia are invited to send non-confidential description of demonstrable solutions that are possible to scale up to industrial manufacturing.